Wednesday 21 May 2008

Disaster..?

Checked vines yesterday afternoon and to my horror a lot of them had withered, darkened and in some cases almost completely dried up:
This was a real shock - it was only the week before last when they were all fresh, healthy looking young vines.

I had to wait until this morning to go down and try and rescue them as I was having a barbeque with my uncle, cousin and dad at the time.

Anyway, I've now gone through the whole plot with my mower including a bit of ground above it and watered each one well with a hose (the mowing is in preparation for a spray of Roundup soon to hold the bindweed back - it's supposed to work best on young leaves and cut stems)
(foreground grass not mown above)

The sun came out afterwards:
And I had a bit of a rest:
(note flask and mug detail, important components to allotment breaks)

Funny how a nicely mown plot and the sun coming out can take your mind of the fact that most of your vines look like they've died...

So anyway, hopefully they'll make some sort of recovery. If growing tips have died out I'm hoping a shoot lateral might take over - or even maybe a new bud - that's slightly less likely as I recently went round and nipped off all the buds/shoots except for the best one, but you never know.

Going to keep an eye on those sunny spells from now on.


UPDATE: Pat H. on the Winepress forum has just informed me that it looks like frost damage... the course of action is still the same though - hope for the best - although I'm not too concerned about dry weather now. Thanks Pat.

3 comments:

  1. Am updating my UK Vineyards Guide and am not sure if I have you listed. Please forward contact details.

    Stephen Skelton
    spskelton@btinternet.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    I live in Colombia, south america and I have a little vineyard too. I have Pinot Noir and Riesling in tropical conditions at 2.200 meters hight. for me it´s very important to have contact with people with the same dreams. Your vineyard look great and I hope you have sucess with your project.
    sorry my english... my blog... www.ciklope.blogspot.com

    Carlos Suárez s.

    ReplyDelete